Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Kitchen Timers and Habit #2: Attentive and Available

The following is a story to illustrate Habit #2:

I have a (very undependable!) habit that sometimes gets in the way when I am cooking or baking.  I put the food in the oven, or on the fire, and make a mental note of the time I need to return to retrieve it.  But alas, I get busy with something else and forget all about it.

One time, I put some eggs up to cook. I planned to close the fire before I put the baby to sleep. Somehow, I forgot all about the eggs, and went upstairs to take care of baby’s bath and bedtime.

As soon as I came out of the room, I could smell something was burning…

Oh no!  The eggs!

Whoops.

The timer

To solve this problem, I started setting the timer on my microwave to remind me when the food was done.

As long as I stayed in the kitchen, this worked really well.  The problem was, that sometimes the timer would ring while I was in the garage getting something from the freezer, or upstairs putting away the laundry.

Hmmm, not very effective. If I was not attentive to the timer, my food would still burn!

The portable timer

It seemed that what I really needed was a portable timer, something I could carry around with me so that I could not miss it if I was out of the room. This time, I could not fail!

So I put my challahs in the oven, set the timer, and took it along for a quick stroll with the kids, just down the block. We even turned around before the timer was due to ring, so that we would be home by the time the challahs were done.

Well, we didn’t quite make it back in time. When the timer rang, we were still half a block away, and not exactly available to take the challahs out of the oven. (Luckily we made it back quickly and they didn’t burn!).

Habit #2: Attentive and Available

After Love and Care (click here to read Habit #1: Love and Care), the next Habit of Highly Dependable People is that they are attentive and available.

First and foremost, the person you depend upon must care about you. But what if that person is never around? What if that person cares, but has no idea what is going on?

In order to be truly dependable, a person must be aware of the situation and available to help.

Why no human can be completely dependable

Let’s use the classic example of dependability: loving parents.

As loving parents, we like to think that we are completely dependable to our children. However, this is impossible, as we can’t possibly know what is going on in our children’s lives at every moment, nor can we be always available. Hopefully, we are mostly dependable, but true dependability belongs to God alone.

Hashem is aware of everything that goes on in every part of the world at every moment. He is available to help us all the time, even with the most trivial matters.

In Judaism, there is a prayer for everything, even a special prayer that we say after using the bathroom! It may seem like a funny time for a prayer. However, by thanking Hashem for allowing all of our bodily functions to operate smoothly, we acknowledge God’s involvement in every single aspect of our lives. There is nothing that is too small, unimportant, or personal for God to help us out, or to be “bothered” with. He is there watching out for us and waiting to guide our lives in all matters, big and small.

Try it!

This week, when you have a problem, try asking Hashem (in your own words) to help you. Feel that He is there, listening, and available to help you.

(Please note: Asking Hashem for help is not a guarantee that the help will be in a form that you like or understand! There are many reasons that our requests may or may not be fulfilled. Either way, asking Hashem to help you will bring you closer to Him, and will drive home the message that He is really ready and available to you all the time.)

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your class and this blog. Although I don't comment often, I have been doing a lot of thinking about things which might best be described as private conversations between me and God and would not necessrily be appropriate to share in a public forum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback!
    You're right, not everything is for public consumption. In fact, often the best things are private!
    I am glad that you are taking the time to reflect and work things through in whichever way helps you.

    ReplyDelete