Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Wisdom of Teeth

Four of them, to be exact

Sometimes I complain that there’s too much to do. Sometimes I wish that I had the day to myself. Sometimes I dream of peace and quiet . . .

Today was that day.

I did nothing. I had the day to myself. It was quiet and peaceful.

I had my wisdom teeth out today. Everyone left me alone.

It felt so strange to be in my bed all afternoon, alone. I missed my kids. I dreamed of feeling well and being busy.

I slept in the afternoon. And then, at 4:15, I was so happy to hear the sound of children piling through the front door after school. I was thrilled to sit down with them at the dinner table and listen to tales of their day (though I did not do much else, including serving, eating, or even talking!). I was even happy to brush their teeth before they went to bed!

Having my wisdom teeth extracted wasn’t exactly my activity of choice. It was, however, a reminder to slow down and enjoy each day.

Update: Next Morning

The reminder was not lost on me.

This morning, I took out the little ones for a leisurely walk. We stopped to watch some construction on the way. We all enjoyed, without feeling rushed.

Taking a walk with our babies

I still plan to rest in bed all afternoon. But today, I’m glad I got to spend time where it mattered first.

Click here to post a comment on the blog


No comments:

Post a Comment