Wednesday, October 3, 2012

You're Fired! Bitachon in Times of Challenge

The Challenge

The predominantly Jewish neighborhood was quickly changing. Mr. Sam Levenson realized that the was no longer a demand for kosher meat in the area. Sadly, he was forced to close his butcher shop.

At the age of 60, Mr. Levenson found himself searching not only for a new job, but a new career entirely. Since he knew the city, and he knew how to drive, he decided to seek employment as a cab driver. He figured that at least inside of his cab, he would be his own boss.

He began his new job just before the Jewish month of Tishrei. As an observant Jew, he informed his boss that he would not be working on the Jewish Holidays.

His new boss was a Jew as well. Though he was neither observant nor well-educated in Jewish matters, he knew enough to let Mr. Levenson take days off for the well-known holidays of Rosh Hashanna and Yom Kippur.

That year, the first night of Succos was on a Sunday night, just like this year. On Friday, Mr. Levenson told his boss that he would not be coming into work on Monday and Tuesday due to the holiday of Succos.

Though the boss had heard of Rosh Hashanna and Yom Kippur, he was not familiar with the holiday of Succos. He promptly replied that if Mr. Levenson did not report for work on Monday morning, he should not even bother coming in on Wednesday.

Lesson #1: Bitachon and the Courage to Stand Up for What is Right

It is incredibly difficult to hold onto what is true in the face of such a challenge.

Mr. Levenson was threatened with the immediate loss of his entire livelihood. Yet he knew that obeying his Creator was his first priority. He exhibited Bitachon by keeping the mitzvos even though it appeared that this would cause him harm.

I have heard people say, “I can’t miss work on Yom Tov because … ”

  • I will lose my job
  • My boss won’t like it
  • I will lose money

We can all learn from the courageous behavior of Mr. Levenson! He had Bitachon! He believed that if God wanted him to work, then he would. And if God decreed for him to lose his job, then that’s what would be. His human contribution was just to do what was right: in this case, not to work on Yom Tov. The rest was up to Hashem.

The End of the Story

Mr. Levenson celebrated Succos with his family on Monday and Tuesday, trying not to dwell over his lost job. He went into work on Wednesday, figuring that he had nothing to lose. Maybe his boss would change his mind and let him continue to work after all.

His boss saw him and came right over to him. Mr. Levenson was sure the he was fired for good.

“Mr. Levenson,” began the boss, “as long as you work for me, you don’t ever have to worry about taking off for the Jewish Holidays again!”

Needless to say, Mr. Levenson was quite shocked by the change in attitude! As it turned out, this about-face was the result of an unusual and unexpected chain of events.

“This past Sunday,” continued Mr. Levenson’s boss, “my father passed away. I don’t know many Jewish laws, but I do know that children sit shiva after the passing of a parent. I prepared to sit shiva for my father, but much to my surprise, the Rabbi told me that since Monday was the Jewish Holiday of Succos, there would be no shiva.

“I now know that you were telling the truth, and not just trying to wheedle another vacation day out of me. I respect you, and I will never give you a hard time about your holidays ever again!”

Mr. Levenson worked for that taxi company for 10 years, and he never had to worry about working on the Jewish Holdiays again!

Lesson #2: Nothing is Beyond God’s Ability

At times, a person finds himself in a hopeless situation. All seems lost, and there just doesn’t appear to be any way out. Often, people just give up.

Part of Bitachon is to realize that Hashem is capable of doing anything. There is no problem that is too difficult for Him to solve, should He deem it appropriate. Even when we don’t see any favorable solution, we must not give up!

Mr. Levenson’s situation appeared to be pretty bleak. It really didn’t seem likely, or even possible, that his boss would change his mind.

Despite the grim circumstance, Mr. Levenson did the only effort left to do in the situation: he went into work on Wednesday. He did not give up,  even though things looked bad.

And God certainly found a creative and beautiful solution to this problem!

Thank You

I would like to extend a special thank you to my Uncle David Levenson, the son of Sam Levenson, for allowing me to share this story with my readers. I have heard many wonderful and inspirational stories from my Uncle David over the years, and this is one of my all-time favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment