Monday, June 25, 2012

Bitachon: What it isn't, What it is

Trust in God

Literally, the Hebrew word Bitachon means trust or security.
When used in Jewish philosophy, Bitachon refers specifically to trust in Hashem.

There is often confusion regarding this concept.

Common misconceptions about Bitachon:

  • Bitachon means believing in Hashem (false)

    The correct term to refer to belief in God is Emunah. Indeed, Emunah, the belief that God exists, is essential to attaining trust in Hashem.
    But Emunah, belief, and Bitachon, trust, are two distinct concepts.  (I hope to elaborate more on Emunah in another post).

  • If you trust in Hashem, then everything will be okay

    I guess this one depends on your definition of okay.  If okay means that everything will turn out the way you want it to, then this statement is false.   If okay means that whatever God does is okay with you, then maybe you’re onto something …

  • Don’t worry, God will take care of it

    Trust in God is not an excuse to be lazy.   You don’t need to worry, but you do need to make a reasonable effort.

All for the Best

What Bitachon really means is that Hashem knows what is best for me, and will only do what is in my best interest.

Admittedly, sometimes this may be in conflict with what I think is best for me.   Bitachon tells me that I need to trust that God knows better.  Nothing happens by chance.

Even when I see Bad with my own eyes, it is really Good dressed up in disguise!

Photo by Carlos Smith

2 comments:

  1. I like the parent/ child analogy, that Hashem as our Father just has more insight and knows better than we do what is best for us, whether we can see it or not.

    I'm going to ask my kids about their ideal day, if absolutely everything could go their way with no limits. Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We don't want hardship any more than a child wants to take a shower or go to bed! But our Father will still do what is best for us, even when we don't like it!

      Delete